The Octopus at the Bottom of the Pool

Alan - Greeley, Colorado
Themes: change, fear

I believe that I love the Octopus at the Bottom of the Pool. Ever since I was little, I was afraid of an Octopus at the bottom of the pool, residing in the deep end, that would eventually eat me if I went to far in. My parents and my brother always told me that if I was in the water too long or if I ate before I swam, that the Octopus would get me because he doesn’t like it when people swim in his water for too long and he can smell food in the tummies of children. So, I decided to name him Choncho Villa and every time I would go swimming, I would always yell, “HEY CHONCHO!” in an attempt to make friends with him so he wouldn’t eat me and I could swim longer and be happier!

As I get older, I realize Choncho really does exist! We are necessary to the existence of each other. He is my reminder of when I swim too long and when I am going to get a sunburn, and when I look around the pool and realize that I am all alone, I know that there is some sort of creature around me… and then I jump out of the water in fear of being eaten. The next day, I jump back in because I realize that being the Octopus at the Bottom of the Pool is very lonely and that not all Octopi are human-eating creatures, they are just misunderstood and not given a chance.

I have attempted to imagine what the Octopus at the Bottom of the Pool looks like, but I have never been able to get an exact image. I’m thinking he has 9 legs because he’s a cool Octopus and all the other Octopi in Octopi School made fun of him so he moved to the bottom of my pool. I’m thinking he is an ethnic Octopus, another difference between him and other common Octopi. I bet he has a huge smile, and he is really nice and laughs loud at the Octopi jokes. He is a cute Octopus, all the humans want a piece of him… for dinner, and all the lady Octopi want him but he is my Octopus, he lives in my pool!

Lately, my Octopus has been missing. I can’t seem to find him anywhere. When I am alone in the pool, I really am alone now because my Octopus seems to be gone. I worry that he too is alone, and he is scared and doesn’t seem to know how to get back to my pool. I don’t want my Octopus to end up in someone’s stomach because my Octopus keeps me in check. Therefore, I keep putting my goggles back on to swim back to the bottom and look for Choncho Villa because this I know, I love the Octopus at the Bottom of the Pool.