Never Back Down

Cody - Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Have you ever been told that something’s hopeless, yet because some people never backed down it happened? Throughout history our nation (United States) has had many instances where it has never backed down.

One point in history is the American Revolution. The Americans were faced against an overpowering British army. Soldiers in America would give up their lives to fight for their freedom. While the British had no point in fighting, the Americans did, which put them at an advantage. Through hard work the nation configured ideas that would ensure their victory. Everyday they’d be thinking what could we do to better off this nation’s odds in this war. With a nation of people thousands went into the military willfully to protect what they’d made. In the end of everything, they’d won the war and did the unthinkable all because they never backed down from their goal.

Later in history was the struggle of slavery. The north took control of the nation because of Lincoln becoming president. The south seceded which cause a civil war for the nation. The north was sick of slavery and put all their efforts into defeating the south. In the beginning the north lost some battles although they never backed down from their goal. They kept fighting no matter what and ended up defeating the south and abolishing slavery all because they never backed down.

A more recent event happening in California is gay marriage was approved by a vote. Later the right of gay marriage was again revoked. This left people outraged. People were protesting by simply not paying their taxes until their rights were given back. From that type of protesting many people were arrested making the already maddened people furious with the government. Although so much power is against them they’re still fighting for their rights unwilling to back down.

Our country has lots of history behind it. We proudly live in our strong nation that has gained success from never backing down. This I believe.