I Believe Living by What You Believe is Easier Said Then Done

Jacqueline - Eagle, Idaho

I am assigned to write an essay about the things I believe in. As I sit here and brainstorm about the things I believe in I can go on and on. Then I remember the guidelines of the essay . . . show what you believe. Can I prove to the person reading this that I really believe in the things I say I do?

When I first heard what this essay was supposed to be about the word “simple” came to mind. After we had a class discussion on it, another word came to mind “hypocrite” which brings me to my topic of how living by what you believe is easier said then done. As an example, one of the first things I heard someone say when discussing the essay topic was they believe in working for the things they have. Hypocrite comes to mind because just a few days earlier I watched that same person take an individual quiz with the help of a friend. This person was cheating for a better grade instead of working for it the night before and studying, that is completely against what he or she was saying they believed in. I’m not saying they don’t believe they should work for what they have they just aren’t living by it. Then the word courage comes to mind. It takes courage to live by what you believe. I believe you should do for others what you would want them to do for you. Last week I was walking to math and across the hall I saw a girl I have never met before drop her binder. All of her papers, pens, and pencils went flying everywhere. I was so amazed when I saw people just walking by, seeing what happened, and then just keeping on walking. I know I would have wanted somebody to help me so I took time to go help her pick up her stuff.

Every person has morals and values which are their beliefs. Every person also knows it takes hard work to live by them constantly. Most people live by their beliefs only when it is convenient for them. All the time I watch people doing things that is wrong and when I ask about it they just say they will repent later.

I believe the truth comes out in people actions not their words. I would say a dog is the best example of this, dogs do not talk, and everything they do is an action proving their loyalty. Anyone can say they believe in god or honesty but you can always tell if it’s just words coming out of their mouths by their actions.