No more homework

white - port coquitlam, Canada

I believe that students should not have homework.

Many people would agree with me that it takes away time that you could be spending with family and friends. Our parents and loved ones outside of school educate us enough that we don’t need extra work to do at home. Education done at school should stay at school and education at home should stay at home. Most students have extra curricular activities going on in their lives that, with extra schoolwork, is very hard to do. We also have relatives who have different events going on in their lives that are important for us to be a part of, like birthdays, newborns, and marriages. Schoolwork should not interfere with our friends and family.

Most of us want to make a living, so its common to have part-time jobs. Sometimes there are long work hours that prevent homework from being done until late at night. This is unhealthy and there is not a good outcome because students are too tired to focus on homework after a night of working.

I can easily compare a job without schoolwork to one with schoolwork because I worked at Boston Pizza for three months. I started in August, where I had no homework and everything was going fine. I got enough sleep and was able to stay on task at work without being overtired. Then as the school year started in September, I was overwhelmed with homework and sometimes did not finish because of my work. I was lacking sleep and I let my co-workers down because of always being tired. I had no other choice but to quit in October because I was falling way behind on my schoolwork and was almost failing two of my classes. If I hadn’t had homework during those two months I would probably still be working. I believe homework interferes with our lives outside of school. We already spend half of the day at school doing work and we don’t need the 2-4 hours of extra homework.

I believe that educational work should be done at school and stay at school, which will give students more time with friends, family, and to do extra curricular activities that they enjoy. We need a chance to develop outside of school so we have a more balanced future, and not extra work. I believe that there should be no more homework for students in first and secondary school.