Taylor - Rossmoor, California

He wandered around wearing only rags; he looked desperate for help. This man was homeless; he was in need of food, money, and most definitely a shower. Most people don’t like to give money to the homeless and neither do I. I decided I was going to do something to change that, the homeless need our help and if we aren’t willing to give them money we should be willing to help out in other ways. The sad thing is most people don’t realize this, they continue on with their busy lives ignoring the deteriorating world around them and the many people that are in need of help. My Mother and I had an idea and decided to act on it; we began to make lunch bags filled with food for the homeless. The content of these bags were: a box of raisins, a granola bar, a bottle of water, as well as a card that lists the nearest food distribution centers and homeless shelters. The smile visible on a recipient’s face that receives one of these bags is comparable to the giddiness of a young girl seeing the Jonas Brothers. One time that really made an impression on me was when my Mother and I were in a grocery store parking lot. A homeless man was wandering around asking for money. We hustled to the car so we could grab him a bag. When we gave him the bag he seemed so surprised, like he was amazed someone had cared enough to put it together. He thanked us profusely; he told us that our idea was great. My Mom and I felt really good after that experience; we felt like we had made that man’s day a little easier, maybe curbed some hunger for him, changed his life in just the slightest way. We also realized helping out isn’t about the good feeling you get or how it makes you look; it’s about how your help affects the person in need of compassion. Maybe changing the world all at once seems an impossible task but changing the world one person at a time seems a little easier, doesn’t it? When a little compassion is shown it can spread from one person to the next, making the world brighter one day at a time. This belief is nothing new or exciting but it’s true, and my own experiences have only confirmed this. I believe a little love can shift a person’s outlook on life and truly change the world.