Money isn’t richness

Marina - Barcelona, Spain

Poor people are rich. I believe it. You’ll think it’s a totally nonsense idea, but it isn’t. People without much money are the richest ones in emotions, in kindness, and mostly in appreciating the simple things that life offers them.

When people think of a rich person, they focus on someone who has lots of money, a big house, a good job, and who wears expensive clothes. This person is rich in material things but probably isn’t as rich in the simplest things. Poorer people can have a great time just being with their friends, talking, or going for a walk. And I believe it’s the simple things which make them happy, even if they aren’t economically well-off. In the case of children it’s even more obvious. They can make a toy from a simple empty bottle or a piece of wood, while the spoilt rich children aren’t happy if they don’t have the big toy all their friends have, which costs as much as the poor ones have to spend on food in a whole month.

Last Christmas I was in Morocco. I went on a tour all around the country. I loved it all, but the best part was New Year’s Eve. We were in the desert and that day it had suddenly started to rain (something which isn’t very common in the desert…). As it had been raining all day and everyone was very tired, we all thought it would be a very boring night. But actually, it was the best New Year’s Eve I’ve ever had. It wasn’t because of the food, which wasn’t especially delicious or luxurious. It was the place. Can you imagine? We were in a small building in the middle of the desert. If you looked out of the window, the view was beautiful, all you saw were dunes. And it was the company, the atmosphere. It was the Berbers and Tuaregs who were doing whatever possible for all of us to have a great time. We had finished dinner and had just entered the New Year, 2009. Everyone was happy, excited, emotional, but very tired. There was silence. We were all falling asleep when suddenly a group of Berbers got some drums and went to the centre of the room. They sat there in a circle and started to play the instruments, and the ones who didn’t have one, contributed by clapping their hands. In a moment, they changed everything. Now the room which had been sleepy and silent a few minutes previously, was full of energy, happiness and people dancing. They didn’t just play instruments, but they danced, and you can’t imagine how well they danced. They were having a great time, and they made us feel their happiness, the friendship between them.

So, people without much money, material things and big ambitions are the richest in innocence, in emotions, and mostly in appreciating simple but important things in our life. I believe it.