I believe in grandmothers

Ignacio - Barcelona, Spain
Themes: family, gratitude

I believe in grandmothers as if they were superheroes. Not with shorts and tight lycra clothes, no thank you. As special people that can make a whole family united for a day at a typical great dinner. They can make your face change only by looking at you with a big smile. I think the special power they have is called love.

But as a superhero they have a foible. As Superman has kryptonite, they have us, their grandchildren, their maximum weakness. They would do anything for their grandchildren, although sometimes grandchildren don’t appreciate their hard work and end up crying or very angry.

They’ve also got someone to help them. As Batman has Robin, they’ve got…grandfathers (their husbands). They help them with everything, and look out for them so that they can do their task properly.

To make you realize all the things they do for us I’ll tell you a personal story that occurred this Christmas. We all were all together. It was the night of the presents, of the kisses, of smiles, of binge eating, the night to be extremely happy.

That night boys usually like to receive the presents and eat. But imagine you could mix both. This year I loved all my presents and I was very happy, but one of the best presents was at the time of the desserts. Everyone thought it would be normal as always but suddenly, my grandmother appeared with a cake. There was silence. I would like to have a photo of that instant, all my family was in silence (for once during that night) and with a huge smile. That cake was the cake my mother, my aunty, my cousins, my sister and me ate on our birthdays when we were little. My grandmother had gone out of her city to look for the cake that provided of one of the loveliest moments of the night.

I am telling you this story to prove my point, but I could tell you thousands more like this. Taking you to important places, making your carnival costume, giving you money if you need it and other beautiful things that make them look like superwomen.

I am a fortunate boy as I still have both grandmothers and can still have great moments with them but if someone has lost one of them I feel sorry for them as they have lost one of the greatest things in their lives. And never forget this curious kind of superhero, so that they can continue using their superpower of love from the earth or from the sky resting in peace.