Amelia - Eagle, Idaho

I Believe

I believe our knowledge will kill us one day. We know so much, yet we listen so little. The pollution level rises each day, trees are being cut down, animals are becoming extinct, and the temperatures are out of control. We have proof of this, but we don’t do anything. We will all die eventually, but we are unable to grasp that we will all die sooner if we keep ignoring what’s going on.

We know that pollution is an ever growing factor and each day the number rises. We ignore what we know, our ignorance will kill us. Many things give off pollution; cars, dumps, cutting down trees, and many more.

Our cars give off CO2, which contributes to the greenhouse gasses. More than enough information is present that shows what these gasses do to our world. Yet we still have to drive three houses down to our friend’s house and we keep contributing to the pollution. I’m not saying we should not be able to drive anymore. I am saying that we should try and limit how much we rely on out cars.

There are dumps all over-flowing with items like soda bottles, newspapers, boxes, and many others, that could have been recycled. Taking two seconds of your day could help drastically, recycle and help your world. We rely on decomposition, but that takes a long time, and even then it doesn’t completely do away with the material. If we recycle, we can reuse the material and then we save recourses, like trees.

We are cutting down more trees than ever to keep up with the over populating world around us. Trees are a necessity in human life, they take in the CO2 and give us oxygen. We need oxygen to survive. With the tree population slowly going downhill, we will start to go down with that count. We cannot live without oxygen. Trees cannot keep up with the CO2 amount if we keep cutting them down and using our cars for pointless trips.

Animals also depend on trees to survive. Animals rely on trees for more than just oxygen. Trees provide shelter and food, necessities in any life. As we take away shelter and food from these animals, they die. One or two animals dying is natural, but when entire species start dwindling with their numbers, it is a reason for concern. Not only does it leave these animals helpless, it messes up the food chain. The food chain keeps everything in balance.

The temperature has been out of control, there are the highest temperatures ever recorded where ice is. These temperatures are melting the ice, the oceans are rising and everything is being thrown off balance. The greenhouse effect is something people everywhere are debating. Our ozone is getting out of control.

We all have the knowledge to stop this. We learn new things every day. Even though we still have all this knowledge, we will kill ourselves in spite of it. We have proof of all the things that are going to end up killing us. If we could only listen.