Zachary - pearland, Texas

I believe that determination trumps ability. I also believe that determination and hard work can become ability. Through my few experiences I have seen how much more valuable hard work can be than pure skills. I was raised in a family that had strong morals and I was taught to shoot for the stars. Throughout my short life I have always wanted to be the best I could at anything I attempted. I have always been motivated by a force to never quit and I hope my motor never dies. I believe hard work separates the good from the great; the strong from the strongest; and the respected from the most respected.

I can sit and write this to you because of the passion I have for this subject and the personal experiences I have had. In ninth grade I was on the Pearland Oiler freshmen C team. If you haven’t caught on yet, that was the worst team, full of “scrubs”. I stayed on that football team the remainder of the year worked hard and having fun playing a great sport. When offseason came around, I found out that I would be going to the new Dawson High School the next year. In the offseason I worked my butt off and tried to be the most coachable person there was. When it came time to put the pads on I was on JV. JV was the top team in my school because we only had sophomores. I had an incredible amount of fun that year. I didn’t start, but I had progressed as a football player. Plus it was fun to go 9-1 in the school’s first ever season beating teams by 30 pts. Well the season ended, and once again there was offseason where it once again the time to give 120%, “balls to the wall” energy and work. August came around before I knew it and sure enough I was on Varsity. Talk about fun, my 2008 football season was a blast. I didn’t play too often, but once again I got better. During all this time I have noticed that I had caught up with the God blessed athletes. The guys who were once 10 times better than me had not putting their 2 cents of work in. This is when I began to realize that ability without work is worth nothing.

God blessed me with determination and willpower. Yeah, he gave me some intelligence and athleticism but that isn’t my strength. Natural ability certainly is the case for Darian Lazard or Bert Muthulaly, but I am different. We all are. When I set a goal, I convince myself that nothing can stop me from achieving it. Right now I am playing baseball and I was given a little more talent in that area. Perhaps, enough so that I may be able to continue on and play college baseball. I have learned that with hard work, anything is possible.

It is vital that I keep working hard, especially in my studies, so that I can graduate from a good college. One day I will have to compete against others in the business world in order to provide for my family. What will separate me from the others is my work ethic. In conclusion, it really is my belief that determination and persistence trump natural God given ability.