hard work

Grady - Eagle, Idaho
Themes: sports, work

This I Believe Essay

I believe that hard work pays off in the end. I think that the harder you work in life the more successful you will be. It’s a lesson that my parents instilled in me at a very young age and it’s worked very well for me. It’s evident in society that the harder people work the more successful they will be.

Michael Jordan is a perfect example of someone who has really benefited from his hard-driving work ethic. As you can imagine, being the best basketball player ever took a lot of extra time. For example, he shot a thousand free throws a day.

My brother and I have different opinions of what hard work means. We have much different work ethics. When my brother was younger things came pretty easily for him. He was a big kid for his age and he was smart, so he made all the sports teams with ease. As he got older and kids started to catch up with him, making the teams wasn’t as easy as before. He still thought he wouldn’t have to try very hard and he could just walk on the teams, but that wasn’t the case. He didn’t put time in before tryouts even though my parents encouraged him to. I learned a lot from his mistakes.

Growing up with kids that had the same talent as me, it was harder to make the teams. After I got cut from a few teams I quickly realized that if I wanted to play these sports I was going to have to work a lot harder. As an eleven year old I got cut from the all star baseball team. I realized if baseball was that important to me, I needed to put in a lot of extra time to accomplish my goals. I watched my brother’s dreams of playing basketball in college crumble. I knew that if I wanted to play baseball in college that I was going to have work extremely hard.

As this year’s tryouts for baseball approached, I started to prepare very early. I worked on baseball five days a week with the vision of making the Varsity team. Knowing that it would be tough competition, I went into the tryouts telling myself that I had worked hard to make it but now I had to show the coaches what I could do. My hard work paid off in the end because I made the team.

Although I made the team, the next challenge is to earn a starting spot. I play second base and there are two other potential second basemen. I am going to have to work my hardest everyday in practice to prove that I am worthy of this job. I will stay after to work out the kinks in my swing and take extra ground balls so I don’t make mistakes in the game.

I am good proof that if you work hard towards your goals you can accomplish them. It’s obvious that people with a good work ethic accomplish more than people without. I’m glad I learned this lesson at a young age.