I Believe Dance IS a Sport

Ally - Pearland, Texas

I believe dance is a sport. Dancers train hours on end providing for themselves a vigorous workout, only stopping for a while to quench their thirst during a small break. It has been said they dance does not require much training or athletic ability because all one does is prance around on two feet. No matter what each football, soccer, or volleyball player says, I would pay good money to watch them kick their legs to their noses one hundred times in a row without stopping. Not easy.

I have such a personal problem with this subject because for the past few months, many of my friends have been complaining that they are tired from so much practice from their sports. If I even let out the tiniest squeak of a moan of being sore from dance, everyone jumps at me laughing and asks how wearing tutus makes my legs hurt. What they do not understand, it that our physical exertions are just as intense, if not more so than their sports. But to stop from arguing, I flash what pretends to be a smile, and saunter off to sulk in a corner, and revisit my memories of what being a dancer is truly about.

Drill team dance is quite different from the dancing that is done at a club. It is not a bunch of body rolls, but self-controlled movement, where every step has a meaning, and a correct technique. I have to work extra hard to stay on high toe (keeping balance on one foot), and control my center (using my abs to hold my entire body weight). Since it is competition season, our team has had longer practices, and we have been working additionally hard to make ourselves the best that we can be in order to be crowned Grand Champions. Staying much later than the soccer players, who are also currently in season, we continue to dance until every step is done right. If this doesn’t show devotion, which is required to be in a sport, then I don’t know what does. Not to mention, dance is the only sport that is all year round. We have to not only train twice as long, but twice as hard as we learn all new routines from football to competition season, to spring show, to summer camp, and then all over again.

The definition of a sport is “an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature” (dictionary.com), in which dance meets all these requirements. I have learned from experience that in order to truly be a good dancer, I have to have natural talent and skill. I believe that if I did not have dance as a sport to do everyday, then my life would be nothing. Dance keeps me in shape, and keeps me busy. If dance wasn’t considered a sport, but a fine art, then how can anyone explain the wincing painful expression that comes across a guy’s face when he sees a girl jump into a split? Even the most manly man will admit that anything that brings pain like that, it definitely a sport.