Themes: change, place

Making choices are a part of our everyday life. But not all of them are life changing. Some choices are made without a second thought but some require long hours of thinking because you just have too many options to think about. I believe that every decision can affect you life in some way or the other. Whether it be small or big, it will be a part of your life.

It was during the summer of 2006 that my dad decided to move to America with my mom. My mom moved to America the previous year because of her job and we were only planning to move here after my high school. But due to various reasons, one being my dad’s bad physical health my parents decided to move that summer. I was not sure what to tell my parents. I had the option to stay at the school dorm till I’m done with my high school or I could just join them and do the rest of my high school there. I was not sure which one to go with.

Born in Saudi Arabia but raised in India I had a special bond to that place and the people there. Being there for almost 13 years, in the same house and same school, just was not some thing that could be left behind that easily. I did not want to leave my childhood friends or my memories back there and just fly to the promising land.

But, on the other hand, my parents and relatives told me how beneficial it is to me that I move to America. I thought about the wide range of opportunities awaiting me on the other side of the world. Better colleges to choose from, better educational stage and everything else just looked better than where I was except for my friends and family. I knew I was going to miss them. But is it worth missing this very valuable chance? I asked to myself. After days and days of thought processing I had the answer. YES. I want to move to America with my mom. I knew I missed her and that I loved her very dearly and just thinking about four more years of not being with her just terrified me. Also I started thinking about my beautiful future too much that I got to a point where no one could persuade me enough to change my decision.

Finally the day came. Every one of my friends and relatives were at my house to wish us good luck and be there for us. I was not so happy about leaving every thing behind me either. But I knew it had to be done. We cried, laughed and hugged not sure when we were going to see each other next. But we all hoped for the best. Even when everyone were very sad and cried when I boarded my plane, I knew something special was awaiting me on the other side of the world. I knew my friends were going to be there every day for me. I knew years later I would get to visit them again and enjoy my limited time on vacation. I believed in everyone and that is what got me to where I am today.