This I Believe Speech

Dominique - Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Have you ever thought about giving up on a certain situation or life’s goal? There are many moments in a persons life where they have thought about giving up or actually given up in a certain sport or hobby. Like a wise man once said hard work will en up paying off in the end. Often in many situation people work harder to perform the best that they know you can. Like the great man named, Jimmy Valvano, once said “ Don’t give up. Don’t ever give up.” In a speech at the ESPY Awards on March 3, 1993.

Once upon a time there was a kid named Bob. Bob was a very shy person and had many aspirations in life. He had a dream that he started at a very young age. At the age of six Bob had the dream of many to people to become something great. His dream was to become a professional basketball player. He practiced a couple times a week and played for a recreational team. By the time he got to middle school he was an outstanding player and the best at his school. When he was in eighth grade he broke his arm and could not play basketball for a couple of months. This was a turning point in his basketball career and he had doubts that he could play at the level that he played before breaking his arm in half. His coach and mentor told him that the harder you try and practice to try to overcome your injury, the better you will be off in the end. He took this to heart and was now in high school. He had fully recovered from his injury and had high hopes. He was playing better than ever and made the varsity basketball team at his high school. Half way through the season he started to play bad and was receiving less playing time every game. He lost a lot a lot of confidence in his playing ability over this time and his coach could see the frustration in the way he acted and played. He remembered that day when his coach in middle school told him to never give up and play as hard as you can because it will end up paying off at the end. He started playing better than ever and showed more enthusiasm in the way he acted. Now as Bob looks back at his youth basketball years he remembers those two moments in his life where he could have given up on his life dream. Today Bob is playing in the NBA and is one of the best players ever to play the game. This reminds me a lot about myself hopefully I will be able to achieve as much as Bob did.

Therefore, I believe hard work will pay off in the end and to never give up. Bob showed how work can lead to success in life and many people throughout history have also done this. If you give up you will regret it for the rest of your life because you never tried to reach the full potential.