Music: A Language?

Aaron - Eagle, Idaho

I believe that music has a message and is considered to be a language. Even though music is just noise, it holds a message. When we refer to Chinese language, we think of jibberish, but that jibberish is a language isn’t it? Isn’t it a way to communicate? Why should music not be a language? Its just jibberish as well, and we don’t understand it until we learn it. I believe music has a message because I am currently helping spread that message. Aside from those who disagree with me, I am Christian and I am helping spread a message at my church by drumming and being apart of something special. Without me, the message wouldn’t be clear. I have a part in the songs being performed about God. I remember my first time performing as if it was yesterday. Taking my drum set all the way to the gym, forgetting my pedal, and driving back to get it. Making a few mistakes, I managed to get to practice in one piece. I was so nervous, but I thought about the message and let the music flow through me. That day was magic and has continued to be magic each of the four times I have done so.

Each and every instrument is like a certain human individual. For instance, some instruments look way different than others. A group of certain instruments can be put under a certain category. Trumpets and flutes look completely different but fall under that category of brass. Violins and guitars look fairly different and are under the category of strings. But each instrument has the potential to communicate. Doesn’t that sound a lot like men and women of separate races? When those completely different instruments get together and combine their voice, they make something spectacular with a message.

Music and musical instruments are very much like human beings and the life they live. What my point is, is that we under estimate music. All its genres, sub genres and sounds. Whether it be opera, rap, pop, ska, metal or indie, all of the music has a message. People will usually have a biased opinion regarding a certain genre of music and call it awful noise, or terrible racket. For instance, I personally listen to a genre of music that most people don’t often listen to or agree with. I listen to metal. I like metal because it is heavy; it creates an energetic atmosphere when performed live and has an appealing sound to my ears. My first “metal” concert was at the venue on March 28th 2007. I remember the line up of bands, Beneath the Massacre, Born of Osiris, See You Next Tuesday, The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza and Composure. That day changed my life and got me to where I am as of now. Since then, I have been to countless shows in Boise.

Each genre can be considered a group of certain people. Considering how I refer to instruments as people of different gender and race, when they get together they can make any sound they wish with a message. I just cannot fathom the thought of the endless list of possibilities that music has to offer. I believe music can create world peace if it is used properly. So what is it that I believe? What is my point? My point is that before you judge a book by its cover, or before you call certain song garbage, take time to think of how it is message bearing and is considered an art. Music does have bad messages as well as good ones. The music with the bad messages is like a group of people with bad intentions. I believe all music should be treated with complete respect, not meaning you have to listen to that music, but you should appreciate what it has to offer. This is what I believe.