God, Part II

jennifer - san francisco, California

The basic principles of most religions surround the idea of human life and its conditions-mentally, spiritually, and the investigations into why humans suffer. What are the causes of the suffering, how we perceive it, and how do we attempt to put an end to it. That is the core of most religions. The burning question, “Why is there human suffering?”

One possible answer could be explained by recognizing the many, many different facets of the human mind. We as a species cannot explain why we think certain things or do certain things. This is confusion. There are such powerful forces bouncing off one another inside the brain at all times. And this may very well be the root of human suffering.

The common belief is that through God and/or religion these quandries will be sorted out, labeled, and quelled. Of course, we must mention those who have genuine mental illness and who require special attention and/or medication. These people will not be healed simply by going to church and praying. They need very careful evaluations by trained professionals.

Religions and/or God are a mere comfort. Neither of which are going to answer all of your questions nor solve all of your problems.

“Religion was created to assuage the masses, rendering their mortality bearable.”

God is a cushion. Those who believe in him find solace. The mere belief is the conviction that from suffering we can go to healing. It is a faith inherent in all of us, but WE own it-not something rearing its head or lending itself to us-it is already ours.

No one wants to be sad-it is counterproductive and is basically the opposite of what drives the human spirit. We are animals born with will(ambition). To survive. But it is that quest for survival that requires work. You won’t get anywhere by standing still. Besides, isn’t it so much more fulfilling and rewarding to end the day feeling tired? It’s what our body wants and the body includes the brain which houses the mind. Moreover, keeping busy is what our species was formed to do. We were born out of another force-working and surviving to accomplish its goals by creating something beautiful: the reflection of God.

To close-the essence of religion and God are to establish a common ground for the release of certain human afflictions;consolation regarding the reasons for our existence and the answer to the question: Are our souls going to be safe after our bodies have lived and died? I believe that if you recognize your soul and love it then it will always be safe.