The Power of Music

Justin - Wasilla, Alaska

I believe in the power of music. The sound, the feeling, and the way it brings people together from all over the world. People of every size, color, and culture all converge into one location to enjoy the music and each other. From a very young age, music has always been a part of my life. There are so many ways that one can benefit through the power of music. As of now, I have learned to play many instruments, which makes me appreciate music even more, knowing the hard work that has to go into learning each one. Music is a wonderful way to embrace the world, and knowing how to make music makes it all the better.

My first concert was Dave Matthews Band. At the time I was just a kid, and all I could hear was very loud and unpleasant sounds. Had I known how lucky I was, and I wasn’t the generic hyperactive child, I would have enjoyed myself much more than I did. What I do remember most was the thousands upon thousands of people that were having the time of their lives. If I had another opportunity to go to one of Dave Matthews’ concerts, I would take up the chance in a heartbeat. The way he plays his guitar has inspired me to learn the same playing style. I have to work on it, but when I play, it tends to make people happy and start singing the lyrics to the songs.

I have been part of many wonderful musical events in my life. When I think about it, I have been extremely fortunate. For the last three years, I have gone to the Anderson Bluegrass Festival. It is an amazing festival where thousands of musicians gather together and play bluegrass songs for the entire day, and it lasts around four to five days. Being in this place makes me just want to play until my fingers are raw and blistered. I can go to any campground and start an acoustic jam with many other talented musicians. I have always enjoyed the beauty of this place, and it is a place for my family and friends to relax and listen to good music.

Maybe it is my upbringing or I’m just lucky, but my immersion in music has been wonderful. It has kept me going, and has given me the opportunity to meet many fantastic musicians. Being able to play alongside these musicians is amazing, and it’s a whole new experience playing in a band for the first time. Maybe knowing how to play many instruments has helped broaden my musical tastes. I love music in all of its aspects, and so I can proudly say that I believe in the power of music.