Every Religion In Me

Benjamin - Tilton, New Hampshire

Growing up in a Reform Jewish family I went to Hebrew school weekly, which ended up laying down a basis for my moral fiber. I learned all kinds of life lessons that I believe are true for anyone, religious or not. I do believe anybody can learn a lot from any lesson taught in any religion.

While preparing for my Bar Mitzvah my Rabbi told me storied right from the Torah. In every story, whether it was a fairytale ending or an ending like with Abraham and Isaac, there was always some lesson to be told. What I took out of every story made me think about life in a different way than I had before. The point of religion is to get you thinking about things you never would have before, and to strengthen your morality by taking valuable life lessons out of the stories.

Buddhists believe that every person is responsible for achieving our own awakening. I take this to mean that I’m responsible for my life experiences, which ultimately is achieving awakening. I can’t have anyone else live my life for me, I have to do it, and I have to learn from those experiences. Thats a praiseworthy lesson applied to me even though I am not a part of the Buddhist religion.

The one lesson I take out of the Quran explains that man has unlimited knowledge. With new inventions being made everyday and possibilities endless how can I shut off the learning? Never become a close minded individual, and I never plan on being one. There is so much information that has not been discovered, and so much information to be learned that proves that our knowledge unlimited.

My parents always took me to my Synagogue on the high holidays or for Hebrew School classes. I never had the chance to follow my religion closely, but found I really didn’t need to. The things my parents have taught me about life throughout mine have been sort of influenced by ancient scripts in almost every religion. If I am morally benefiting from any religion, then it has positively served its purpose. So when I’m asked, “what do you believe?” I can only answer that I believe in every good thing a religion has to offer me.