Korean Pride

Jae Sung - Tilton, New Hampshire

Although I am currently studying in U.S with friends from all around the world, I still strongly believe that my country is the best. I am from South Korea, with its unique characteristics and charm, and I cherish my nationality. Korea has successfully withstood many invasions and threats for hundreds of years. With a great unity from Korea, this country is able to stand on its own, and show its pride today.

Even when I lose myself with a crowd of people from all over the world, I never forget that I am Korean. I eat, wear clothes, and talk like American, but deep inside of me I know what I am. Specifically, in U.S, there is no better feeling than seeing a Korean flag shown in the public in U.S. I then think to myself, I am a Korean, and I represent my country. I am saddened by the fact that not many people know about Korea in the U.S, and as an international student in the U.S, being a minority is not an easy thing. It is crucial in my mind, to represent my country to the majority in the U.S in a good manner, because the people in the U.S have little chance of meeting Korean, and their opinion of all Koreans can be determined solely by interaction with me. Many people have asked me about Korea. I have always told them that Korea could be a great economic and military ally with their country. I am very proud that Korea will help any country it can.

Since I have lived in U.S for more than six years, I see many things that Korea lacks. We do are not the most influential country. Knowing that my country is not the best in the world, I always try to do better than anyone else around me to show that Korea has potential to be a better country. Especially in school, I feel compelled to achieve more than others in order to show that Korean could be outstanding and could compete with the big boys. In many ways, Korea is good in many ways. Korea has invented the first printed works, widespread of cell phones by Samsung and LG, and longevity of the country itself.

Some people could live in their country and are oblivious to how great their country is. I live abroad, and many Koreans are dismissive about Korea. I have always tried to teach them that Korea is the best, and tell them what would be the best for our country is in terms of politics, economy etc. I take pride in being a citizen in South Korea, although I know that my country has some blemishes.