Of Little Importance

Giannino - Ballwin, Missouri

Of Little Importance

I believe in… the little things of life. Pardon the cliché, but I believe in stopping to smell the roses. People are always rushing around far too much and wear themselves far too thin. People yet despair with so many marvelously beautiful things surrounding them; so many simple wonders that people take for granted. To some, it might seem a rather trite idea, but I think that despite this, people fail to heed its wise words all too often; I think if people really held this notion close to their heart as I do, they’d be so much happier, their lives infinitely improved by living in every moment.

There was a time in my life when for a variety of reasons, including my parents getting divorced when I was in the 1st grade, moving and changing schools many times, and the development of a certain hate of myself that came about due to a vast disappointment deep within my gut in my thoughts and actions, I would get into these spells of a sort where it was as if I was dead to the world. I lost interest in things, the color palate of the world became muted, and every sound and touch felt as if they were incredibly distant… During these spells, life would veritably suck, and there seemed that there was little to nothing I could do to prevent or shorten these spells.

I wouldn’t exactly say there was a singular moment in my life where I had a specific epiphany concerning the little things, per se, but one day I was enjoying a nice, steaming hot shower (which is a commodity I greatly adore) when I found myself paying greater attention to feeling the caress of the winding streams of water snaking their way down my body to the drain and admiring the pearl-like beads sticking to my skin. I found myself listening with rapture to the gurgle of the water hitting the floor and the tinkle of the tiny bullets of water ricocheting off of my skin and unto the cloudy, plastic shower curtain while imagining with wonder the infinitesimal molecules of water hitting the air thus sending waves of sound to my eardrum where the liquid in my tiny cochlea translated the vibration into nerve signals which were then sent to my brain where they were translated into sound. Soon, I began paying greater attention to things like this all around life, and found myself much happier than I had been before; my spells seemed to nearly disappear and my interest in things flared.

I believe that if people began to take notice of the “little things” all around us (as they are called although, to me, in reality they are really the biggest things of all) that we take for granted, that if people admire the beauty of the stars, the might of thunderstorms, the delicacy of snow, the way math and physics fit together so eloquently, the intricacies of language, the wonder of the human mind, the ecstasy of love, and the odd sense that comes when you stare someone straight in the eyes, that if they realize that there is not a single moment of their life where there is nothing special happening, that it would have a profound effect on everyone; that it would release pent-up frustration in people’s hearts; that it would bring a new satisfaction to their minds and their souls, and that this would extend to the way they treat everyone else as well as themselves.

So People… stop and smell the roses, if you please?