I.Q. vs. E.Q.

Megan - Highlands Ranch

There has always been one quote in my life that has changed my attitude and the way that I look at many things in life. This quote is, “Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there. One of the biggest examples in my life that show why I believe in this, is a story about my dad. When my dad was in high school he made the decision to not go to college, and go into the military instead. This is obviously a very life changing decision.

So after the military, he did get a job, yet, it probably wasn’t as good as a job as he could have gotten. But as time went by he got his Mortgage license, and he has now been doing that for about 16 years. About 10 years into his mortgage job, he decided to get his Real Estate license. Even though my dad did not go to college, he still became very successful in these businesses because of his welcoming personality, and good, hardworking attitude.

In our society, I.Q. is just as important as E.Q. Or in other words, school smarts can only get you so far, the rest is all “street” smarts. Sportsmanship is a good example for this quote. This is because sportsmanship has to do with your attitude with others and yourself. If you can’t accept the fact that you will not always be the best or win all the time, you won’t have a good perspective on life, and what it is really about. This quote goes with sports just as much as anything else, because you could be an extremely talented athlete, but if you are always acting like you are too good for any of it, than no one will want to be around you, or sometimes even like you.

Another example would be a job interview. Most jobs in the world don’t just involve sitting at a desk and doing work, you also need to have people skills, so that you can get business, and make money. If you are at a job interview, and you always got perfect grades in high school and at one of the most prestige colleges in the USA, that won’t mean that much if you don’t know how to work well or get along with others. Therefore, just because of an attitude, or no other social experience besides school, you could not get a job, or possibly lose a job later down the road.

So basically, the quote, “Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there” is all true. In my opinion, you can use this in every aspect of your life, because it is what will define you from everyone else.