Guardian Angel

Shalah - Duluth, Minnesota

Guardian Angel

I believe in natural laws that govern all things, a presence that is made known to us, whether it is acknowledged or not. I believe in a force that guides and protects us. I believe throughout my life this invisible presence has always been there. I call it my guardian angel.

When I was only three years old my father and I were trapped on an elevator one day, and the elevator was dropping fast. We had boarded the elevator in a high rise building on the fifteenth floor. When the elevator door closed, it started to malfunction and to drop. It was falling so fast that the light in the ceiling broke. My father looked very frightened and began randomly pushing the buttons to try to get the elevator to stop. He turned to me and said, “I can’t get it to stop!” Then I cried out in a loud voice, “Jehovah! Jehovah!” Within seconds the elevator began to slow down and come to a gradual stop. Once the door to the elevator opened up, we got off on the second floor. My father rejoiced at once. He lifted me up and said, “Shalah, you remembered to call out God’s name!” He said, “I am the adult here, so I should have remembered to call out God’s name.” I felt like I had just witnessed a miracle take place right before my eyes. This experience taught me to trust in my spiritual father. My faith as a child was tested and renewed all at the same time. God became real to me through the presence of that guardian angel. I have trusted God every since.

My parents taught us to put our trust in God and not man. My dad said, “Food, clothing, and shelter is all I am required to give you until you grow up and become an adult.” My father did not lie to us when he prepared us for the real world. As an adult I have had many dire situations, even life threatening ones that mysteriously resolved themselves. In life we have everything that we need to survive and thrive. All we need to do is become aware of our spiritual power that comes from within. It’s like our guardian angel; sent to us by God, ready to help us in times of great difficulty. I believe we should listen for a response after we pray. One will come. This I believe.