Being Yourself

Ingemar - Duluth, Minnesota

Being Yourself

I believe that being oneself and making honest choices are important role in a person’s life. I remember the influence that music had on me at an early age. My father introduced me to bands that were before my time, such as the Beatles and Led Zeplin. He taught me that music is a therapeutic way to relieve tension and that lyrics are a way to relate to other people. “Find a style of music that you can relate to and that you can enjoy’’ is what he told me. Once I understood the sounds and melodies of the great rock bands he introduced me to, I decided to explore similar bands that would also strike an interest. Later I searched for European bands and found Pink Floyd. I listened to Pink Floyd consistently, and I have become a huge fan of the band.

I began to explore the rhythm and the melodies of the music. They gave me an urge to dance, but I wasn’t sure exactly how and where to practice. One day when I was ten years old, I came home from school and heard music playing in the living room. I followed the sound of music to find my mother dancing by herself in the living room. She seemed exhausted. She was listening to the vinyl record of Michael Jackson’s Off the Wall playing on the turn table. She quickly signaled me to come over to her, took me by my hands, and started circling me around the room. Instantly, I felt the rhythm of the music, and I understood that music could make a person want to move their body to a beat. When she let go of my hands, I continued to let the music take over my curiosity to dance. Soon after, I began finding much more music that inspired me to dance.

Growing up I was a distant and anti social person. I didn’t communicate well with others or get involved in many high school activities. Most people my age were more interested in sports and being in a relationship with the opposite sex. My interest was music, and its many styles. I started to find different kinds of music to dance to and went to clubs in New York City to help me feel more comfortable with the social aspect of dancing. At first I was nervous that people would judge me and my dancing, but then I remembered that doing what makes me happy was the right choice. It was the first step in believing in being myself.

Being insecure or nervous is a natural emotion people go through, I believe dancing is a positive way to relieve stress and a beautiful way to express one’s self. I believe that true happiness comes from within as long as one is willing to trust his or her instincts and “Ride The Tide.” One should be able to confidently hold your head up high and say “ Hello my name is___” with conviction.