The power of change

Abrum - Duluth, Minnesota
Themes: change

The Power of Change

I believe we must be the change we wish to see. Regardless of one’s age race or gender if you are truly passionate about something or if there is something you would like to see change, don’t back down. You must pursue the change you wish to see. When you’re uncertain, questioned and criticized, you must remain undeterred. Change isn’t always easy, and it’s not something that be achieved overnight, but if you continue to believe that change is possible your efforts will not go un-rewarded. There are many people throughout history who took matters into their own hands and spoke up when they saw something happening that wasn’t right. These are events that bring about the greatest and most profound change. Once we understand how important it is for each of us to be the change we wish to see, we can begin to make those positive changes.

I grew up with five siblings, and we were a blended family. My dad had three older children before my parents had me and my younger sister. My mom left soon after my sister was born which, consequently, left my dad raising five kids by himself. I give my dad a lot of credit for keeping all of my siblings together, but he struggled a lot. My dad was never really around, he was either working or drinking; therefore, my siblings and I all fended for ourselves. My older siblings always made sure I had clean clothes and ate dinner every night before bed.

My siblings were quick to move out once they turned eighteen, but things really changed quite a bit when my brother Josh who was the youngest of my dad’s first family moved away from home. I was now in charge of taking care of my little sister. Along with that I was also responsible for cooking, cleaning, doing the laundry, and making sure we both were ready for school, and on time every morning.

I had to grow up very quickly, and, needless to say, I didn’t really have much of a childhood. I did, however, have my grandmother who did everything she could for me. When I was thirteen years old my mother was incarcerated and later on that same year my grandmother passed away from lung and liver cancer. That was probably the lowest point in my life because I felt like I had nobody who cared about me. It was in those days and weeks that followed my grandmother’s death that I faced a very defining moment. I realized that I didn’t want to live the rest of my life in the same pattern that I had done for the first thirteen years of my life. I knew that I didn’t have to live like this. I wanted a better life for myself and a better life for the family that I would have someday. I knew that if I wanted that change to happen I was the only person that could make it.

I see people everyday who are lost or people who have no direction or motivation. I feel sorry for those people because they do not believe in themselves and their capability to bring about the change they wish to see. If we all believed that we were able to bring about the change we wish to see, we would be stronger people with much more character.

We must be the change we wish to see in the world. Having the ability to promote and bring about change is something I value greatly. This belief is a pillar of my life that I try to incorporate everywhere I go. Regardless of who I am or where I’ve come from, if something isn’t going the way it should, or things aren’t as exciting as they used to be the only person who can change it is me. This is what I believe.