I Believe in Eternal Life

Jamie - chaska, Minnesota
Themes: afterlife

I believe in eternal life. I believe that people can leave behind pieces of themselves through blissful memories, and treasured reminiscences. I believe people have everlasting life, although their bodies may no longer grace us. I believe life will be lived again and again until we have reached everlasting peace within ourselves and within others.

Growing up, my best friend Kelsey and I did everything together. We were neighbors, we were on the same cheerleading squad, we were in all of the same community service groups and when we got older we even had the same job. Kelsey and I made a lot of memories that I will always cherish, but there is one memory of her that will forever haunt me.

It was September 5, 2006, a typical autumn day in Minnesota. The wind was chilly, and the leaves that had freshly fallen to the ground were floating gracefully through the streets. It was almost as if a silence had fallen over the small town in which we lived. As I walked into work, I wondered if I would be seeing Kelsey on my shift that night at the diner. When she saw me come in, she ran up and gave me a hug. Although I was having a bad day, she always knew how to make me smile. There was something about her big blue eyes, and her comforting words that made me forget about all of my hardships. We spent most of the night reminiscing, much like we always did. When the diner closed, I gave Kelsey another hug and said goodbye, not knowing that it would be our last hug and the last time that we would see each other.

As Kelsey was driving home that night, she dropped her cell phone while texting. She bent down to pick it up, overcorrected, and drove head on into another car. Kelsey was responsible for the death of a woman in the other vehicle, and was thrown through the windshield where her motionless body laid still on the pavement. She was airlifted to Hennepin county medical center where she was in a coma for nearly 72 hours before her life support was discontinued.

Kelsey was an organ donor, and a little 8-year-old boy was fortunate enough to receive her heart, and it saved his life. Although Kelsey is no longer alive, what she has given this world will not go unnoticed. She has taught me that life cannot be taken for granted, and she taught me to live each moment as if it were my last. She has given me and many others the strength and thirst for a better life. Whenever I walk into that diner, I think of sweet Kelsey, and she still brings a smile to my face. Kelsey has provided many with hope and a better existence through the memories she has given us, and the life she gave the 8-year-old boy. Kelsey has proved that life is eternal.