A Better Life

Jessica - Duluth, Minnesota

A Better Life

I believe life will get better. No matter what happens today, tomorrow is a new day. We cannot escape what has happened in our past. Life is a lesson. As long as we continue to learn from our mistakes, we can better our lives for the future. Our choices are the biggest factors of our lives. We are often left wondering which road we should take in life; there are so many. We wonder what will happen if we pick the wrong one. That’s life. Just remember, these roads aren’t permanent; there are all sorts of detours and exits along the way. Just take one. If life isn’t going as planned, make a change! It is up to us because no one will just step in and leave us on easy street. We must find the way ourselves.

My family didn’t have much money when I was growing up. My dad worked a lot, but he had four children and a wife to support. As soon as we would start to get ahead, the car would break down or some unexpected expense would pop up. Every winter it seemed like our water heater would break and our outdoor pipes would freeze. My dad could sometimes make necessary repairs himself, but some times these projects were beyond him. That meant spending a large sum of money he didn’t have to spend. My dad was laid off most winters because construction tends to be seasonal work, so winter was always a harder time for us. We always worked through it though. We just had to make sacrifices. I have had a job since I was fifteen. I knew that I could pay for my own things, it would be easier on him. I never blamed them for anything, though. I love them more than anything. We always stuck together until times got better. That’s what family is for.

I moved out when I was eighteen. I have lived with my boyfriend for almost a year now. I won’t lie; it certainly isn’t easy living paycheck to paycheck, but I decided a change in my life would allow me to make great improvements, and it really has. I’m going to school, working full time at the same job I have had since I was fifteen and I’m happy. I do not regret the choices I have made. I have faith that life will continue to improve for my loved ones and myself. We just have to continue to work at it. We have the right to the pursuit happiness, and the power to do so.