Hard Work

Gunnar - Eagle, Idaho
Themes: work

You can get anywhere in life if you work hard enough towards it. Those are the words I have heard throughout my life. Not directly, but through the example of my parents.

My dad is one of the hardest working men I know. He doesn’t care what he has to do, but if it will somehow benefit a family member or friend, he’ll do it. Many years ago my parents wanted to build a house out in Eagle, but there was no way they were going to be able to pay for it. So everyday when he got done with his regular job, my dad would go out to our property and work on our house. In a matter of 7 months he had built our entire house, virtually, with his bare hands. He kept on going despite many obstacles. One day he slipped with the nail gun and put a nail through his hand. He ran to the only other house in our neighborhood at the time. Cleaned up his hand in their kitchen sink. Ran back to our house and kept going for the rest of the day.

My mom doesn’t have to work. She wants to be able to put me and my 4 siblings through college though, so she has two jobs. She cleans houses once a week and has opened a beauty salon in our house where she works 3-4 days week. That does not include cleaning up our entire house, doing laundry, and cooking dinner every night. Though she still manages to come support all of us kids in any extracurricular activities we may have throughout the week. Anyone who says women do not work hard, have not met my mother.

They started me off early working. I remember at a young age helping my parents trying to get our 1.75 acre lot planted, not to mention having to plant all the trees for the landscaping. We didn’t have an irrigation system for the all the trees in our yard yet, so I had to get a bucket twice a day and go around watering each and every tree. That may seem like a very simple task, but for a young boy it was no fun. Especially when you didn’t get paid for it. Now that I’m older I’ve worked at a bunch of places. I was a post hole digger two summers ago for TVT Fence, I’ve bucked hay for multiple people, moved pipe several summers, and ever since I can remember my brother and I have mowed lawns every summer on top of everything. One thing I believe teaches me to work hard is wrestling.

Every day having to walk in that already humid wrestling room. Put on thermals because I’m always overweight. Feeling like I’m going to pass out by the end from the extreme heat, and brutal workouts. Every day wanting to quit, but knowing in the end it is going to be worth it. The pay day is match day. Everything I’ve worked for shows, and is paid off for me.

I want to be a doctor someday. I know that is no easy task between all the schooling and coming up with the money to pay for the schooling. But I know if I work hard enough towards it, I can be anything I want to be. Because hard work can accomplish anything.