Think Before you Speak

Adam - Palmer, Alaska
Themes: integrity

When was the last time you told a lie before you had a chance to think about the consequences of your lie, or said something that the moment it came out of your mouth, you completely regretted saying it?

Throughout my life my parents have always told me to “think about what you say before you say it.” Yet during the childhood years of my life I never really took these words to heart until recently.

I have always had a tendency to just say whatever comes to my mind at that moment and many times, it has landed me in serious trouble; or I have been very hurtful to people that I had no intention of hurting. And when I did hurt someone that I cared about, it was a long time before the bond that we used to share could come back over time.

I never really understood the full consequences of this until I told a stupid lie to get out of trouble. After the first lie, I then had to tell several other lies to make up for the first one not realizing that the people I was being dishonest to knew the truth the whole time.

Because of my constant lying I became a habitual liar; it seemed like once I was confronted about something I had done instead of telling the truth, I would simply make up a story. And every time I did, I felt like a complete idiot because I knew that it would have been better to simply tell the truth.

My habitual lying quickly became out of control, and as a result of my lying, I lost all trust with many people that were close to me. But the hardest people to deal with were my parents.

I knew that I had to do something about it. So over the years I have worked my hardest to not lie and regain the trust of the people that mean the most to me, my family. As a result of my efforts I have regained a lot of trust and life has improved much more by simply thinking about what I say before I say it. I believe that you should always think about what you say before you say it.