Derek - Lock Haven, Pennsylvania

Ever since I can remember, I’ve never been the best at anything, but I never let it stop me. I always strived to be the best at what I was doing regardless of who was better or how many were better at it than me. This is why I believe in perseverance.

When I was about six years old my father introduced me to the world of wrestling. Not the stuff that Hulk Hogan did on Saturday mornings, but actual wrestling. It was never my favorite sport until I reached high school, but somehow through all of the weight cutting and long trips to tournaments, I still was able to keep an interest in the sport. I was never the greatest wrestler, but I never stopped trying and always took steps forward.

I was accepted to college in the spring of 2006 at Lock Haven University and had every intention of wrestling there. My father thought otherwise though.

He insisted I go to the branch campus of Lock Haven University which is only ten minutes from my house. It was a logical idea since it would save money of room and board, but I had a dream I wanted to fulfill. I told him “no, I want to wrestle” and so the arguing began. For months on end we bickered over main campus and branch campus, and in the end my argument persevered and I was enrolled at Lock Haven main in the Fall of 2006.

Once I got to college at Lock Haven I was opened up to a whole new world since I was allowed to take classes that actually interested me. So I started college balancing both wrestling and classes, but one thing stood out in my head the most, that wrestling wasn’t as promising and as fun as it once was. It was almost like work, and I didn’t want a job at that time. I knew that I would make lifelong relationships and connections with wrestling at Lock Haven, and so I decided to stick it out and just roll with the punches. I’ve never stopped trying and always took steps forward.

At the midway point of my sophomore year of college I found my way to sports broadcasting which I took quite a liking for. It let me do what I’ve always wanted to do, be the play-by-play man for a particular sports team. With sports broadcasting at Lock Haven University, I am able to live my dream and do what I’ve always wanted to do. I’m not exactly pin-pointed on one team, but I do get the opportunity to explore many different athletic squads and see which sports fits me best.

Wrestling has since been put on the back burner, but I still love the sport and hit the mats when I get the chance. I have been focusing much of my time on sports broadcasting, since someday it will hopefully consume my life. It has found a way to persevere through my eventual number one childhood passion, and hopefully someday I can persevere through the hardships to become the next Joe Buck or Pat Summerall.