This I believe, Mr. President

Asha - Hoschton, Georgia

This I believe, Mr. President

I have a dream, Mr. President, and many tell me it cannot be.

But this I believe, Mr. President – that my dream can be.

It’s not the dream of capitalistic ecstasy, but rather the dream of humanistic and social goodness. In my dream all men are truly equal; in my dream there is no sickness; in my dream there is no violence, nor need for punishment, for all men are at peace. In my dream there is abundance – abundance of green, yellow, orange and blue, lush and verdant vegetation, a sun of yellow and orange hues and a clear blue sky. In my dream all things are free – animals flourish and occupy clean and rich habitats; men live with honor and in peace, in service to their greatest inheritance, the planet Earth.

I have a fear, Mr. President, I have a great fear. That in the frantic chase for progress and wealth, we destroy all things which comprise my dream; that my children’s children will inherit a dark and lonesome planet; that the green will be replaced by grey void and that the yellow and orange hues of the rising and setting sun will be a dream written in old books. I have a fear that animal life will be no more and that the heart of man will become an arid pasture in which the fertile seeds of greed, hatred, envy, malice and violence will have taken firm root.

Yet in the midst of my fear, Mr. President, I have great hope. Hope that that which is good and righteous in man will overcome; that the blind man will see through the veil of hungry madness into the depths of his own heart, and that the race for tangible gain will be won by the humble servant; that the joy and laughter of children will become the most cherished commodity and that “an eye for an eye” will be no more; that every law of the land will be replaced by the law of the heart and that love will be the religion of the mass.

And lastly, Mr. President, lastly, I have deep trust. Trust that we are made in the image of our heavenly father and mother, and that in the deep recesses of the human heart lie dormant the angelic traits of unselfish love, peace and joy. I trust, Mr. President, that my dream will come to pass. That manifest will be those great men whose hearts are verdant ground in which the seeds of love, faith, goodness, contentment and charity will yield the fruits of honor and respect for all things gifted to us by our maker, and that my dream of humanistic and social goodness will come to be.