I Believe Everything Happens for a Reason…

Jamie - Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Themes: purpose, setbacks

Do you ever wonder why things happen? Do you ever ask yourself “what did I do to deserve this?” In my 15 years of like experience, I have realized that everything happens, happens for a reason.

In my first semester of high school, my best friend of 10 years and I stopped being friends. We just simply grew apart and lost common interests. Losing her taught me that with time, people change. Even though it was hard, this experience caused me to learn to let go and move on. I also discovered that when you lose a friend, many opportunities to meet new people and make new friendships will come along.

Also, Things in life will go wrong, but why? Not everything goes how you want it to because you have to understand to appreciate things when they do go the way you want them to. Four years ago, my grandpa died, my grandma died, my dog died, and my other dog got hit by a car all in the period of one month. Most definitely, this portrayed to me to be thankful for everything I have because it was made obvious that it could be gone the next day.

Another example that supports the idea of my belief is that people believe lies in order to find out that they can only trust themselves. In my life, people close to me have let me down. People that I thought were my friends, turned their backs on me. And my trust in people has been broken. These events have forced me to realize that I can only depend on myself and no one else.

Finally, sometimes the best things in life fall apart. All throughout elementary and middle school I was a straight A student and never got in trouble. I never even had received a referral! However, the first semester of high school came around and this all changed. My grades started to drop because my social life was more important than my academics. I started hanging out with the wrong crowd and I was getting in trouble outside of school. Plus, I even got into a girl fight and receive a suspension! The next semester, I was determined to turn my life around. With my determination and hard work, I have brought my GPA back up to a 4.0, I haven’t been getting in trouble at home or at school, and I put my academics before my social life. Seeing that I could do a 180 with my life illustrates that better things will come along if you want them to.

Life is clearly an indescribable journey that we take. It is a roller coaster ride of emotions and feelings. What goes around, does come around and in my opinion, it is easier to get through life if you believe in the idea that everything happens for a reason.