Felisha - Charlotte, North Carolina

Karma. Everyone knows she’s my best friend. There have been so many times where I’ve held my tongue or turned my cheek when someone did something wrong to me. Being the person that I am, letting something go is very hard, but I’ve grown a lot. I’ve grown to learn that when you do let go, sure enough whenever someone has done something to you (good or bad) it always comes back around twice as hard. Now, I could tell you plenty of stories about ex-boyfriends and their evil ways, or friends from long time ago who think they’re “all that” now, but I won’t. We pretty much know how those stories end up. Instead, I’ll give a brief story dealing with money.

So one night I was at Target with my mother. It was kind of late, around 10:30pm, but we had to pick up some last minute things before we went home. I got what I needed and my mother did the same. We went through two different lines to get out quicker. The lady who rang me up looked completely stressed and really tired. I only had about 4 items that added up to less than $15 maybe. I handed her a $20 bill and didn’t expect to get more than 4 dollars back in change. She handed me the money and it felt like way more than $4! I counted and she gave me $7 extra dollars in change. I looked at her and said “Um, you gave me too much.” and handed her the money back. Her eyes turned from tired to wide awake and she said “Oh my gosh, I’ve been doing that all day I don’t know what’s wrong with me! Thank you for being honest with me.” She gave me my correct change and I said “No problem, have a good night.”

As I met up with my mom I told her about the lady giving me too much money back in change. My mother looked back at her and was like “Oh, I know her, she just had a baby not too long ago and she’s only 19.” I asked how she knew and she told me that her mother is one of her co-workers. “No wonder she’s so tired, besides the fact that it’s late she has a baby at home that she needs to take care of, wow.” I said while I shook my head.

I believe that no matter how a person acts, you never know what they are going through so you should be kind. Who knows, there might be a good reason for someone having a bad attitude, as well as someone who acts extremely nice all the time. We all should know that we cannot control how others act, however, you can control your own attitude and actions. I’ve learned that the smallest things can and will make a difference, which makes me think twice about all that I do. Karma, it can either be your friend or your worst enemy; it’s all up to you.