I Believe in Sobriety

Rachelle - Highlands Ranch, Colorado

I believe in Sobriety

I am a person who has witnessed the negative effects of the abuse of alcohol. I am a strong believer in sobriety. As defined sobriety, is a dignified personal behavior reguarding abstinence of the consumption of alcohol. In other words, sobriety is where you are completetly drug and alcohol free.

I believe in sobriety because it represents the strength it takes to resist the very addiction of alcohol and drugs. Someone could easily accept drugs from a person at a party, however the real strength is in the rejection of the offer. Likewise, someone could be pressured into drinking some alcohol and waking up in the morning with nothing but a vague memory of the previous night and a bundle of rumors subsiding about you, awaiting your arrival at school on Monday.

However, if you turn down the “generous” offer of alcohol, at least you can leave with your dignity in tact.

Sobriety is a state in which people show true courage and comittment, two qualities that I possess. I feel that I have shown true comittment by staying away from all of it. Life is strictly based upon the decisions we make on a daily basis. My decision to dismiss the persuasive offerings of drugs and alcohol has not yet failed me. I have been offered drugs and alcohol and I felt it was the right thing to do, by simply saying “no”. That is something that a lot of people do not comprehend, the power of the word NO.

I believe that in tough times, people’s only vices should not be alcohol, rather, they should resort to more positive influences such as family and friends. A common misconception is that a quick buzz will take away the pain and the agony from their lives. Then when the buzz begins to fade they want it to last so they will drink more and more until they are drunk and it all goes down hill from there. This sounds like such affective treatmeant to me. When my parents divorced,

they easily could have turned to alcohol but instead they steadily relied on work and their kids. Furthermore, I could have turned to drugs and I could have thrown my life away, because life got a little hard.

No matter what people may think of me and my beliefs, I believe in sobriety. I know that I do NOT need alcohol or drugs poisoning my body in order to have a good time. Despite the temptations, I will remain sober and I will do it alone.

I believe in sobriety.