Competition

conor - 80126, Colorado

Competition

Throughout my life of athletics I have had many experiences and gained many beliefs such as, lifting is essential to most any sport or one I am sure you have all herd, “there is no I in team”. Today I am not talking about either of those two things but I am going to speak about my experiences with competiveness and how it can bring out the best and worst in you.

The definition of competition is rivalry between two or more people or groups for an object desired in common. When that object we are all competing for can be anything from a pick-up win game to a national championship title people will show you how competition brings out the best and worst in them. I have been to pick-up games and championships and I don’t care who you are but every one of you has a competitive side in you that is ready to burst out in a good or bad way depending on the situation. Well at least I know that my friends Danny Otsuiki and Connor Staton do. Everyone has many beliefs and after I am done talking about these two people I hope you too can share this belief with me.

I love competition, and I think I speak for everyone when I say that it is a lot more fun to help kids during those competitive moments and I think my friend Connor would agree. It is half time and we are losing to Denver East by over 40 points. Everybody was discouraged and totally out of it but then Connor Staton comes in the huddle and tells our team some very inspirational things. During the second half we played 10 times better because of all the confidence we had. None of our teammates were missing tackles and we were no longer afraid of the size of our opposition. During that game I realized that competition can bring out the best in you and in that second half Connor proved that to me and the rest of the team.

Now when I say competition can bring out a bad side in you, I mean that 100%. I learned that during one of our freshman A team football games against Mullen. It was half time and it was the only time we were losing in the entire season. Obviously any one that has any sort of anger in them was upset and that is describing 95% of our team. One of the 95% of kids that was especially upset was Danny Otsuki. “Danny”, I said as I was walking over to talk to him at the end of half time. Once I walked over to him I noticed his facial expression that basically told me to [piss off] and [leave me alone before I kill you]. Now Dan is a big kid so I used whatever common sense I have and left him alone and walked into the end zone to stretch. On the first play of the second half, if you were the kid going against Danny you would think of him as a jerk which is the most appropriate word I can think of, but if you were like me, you would think of him as a very good teammate. Most of the things were out of anger and also out of the ref’s eye vision so Danny did not get in trouble. Because of competition and its way of bringing out the worst in people we won that game with Danny’s and many of our players help.

That is why I believe in competition and how it brings out the best and worst in you.