test - test, Iowa

I believe in the power of coffee.

I’m certainly not talking of coffee with added sugar, half and half or milk; but straight up black coffee. I value coffee as black as the color of car oil changed after it’s cycled for 3,000 miles. Once I’ve finished drinking this bitter confection of goodness; I want to see floating grains at the bottom of my cup.

Nothing more gets this guy going in the morning, than the sound of coffee beans grinding, and coffee peculating in my roommate’s Mr. Coffee machine, then smelling its aroma in our college house.

I’m constantly told I need a caffeine addiction intervention. Coffee means more than an addiction to me – it’s a beverage with the power to complement my daily life.

I think of coffee this way: if I were Forest Gump, coffee would be my Jenny. Just as Jenny encourages Forest to keep running; coffee encourages me to keep running. My life is complete chaos. As a senior studying journalism; I have to meet deadlines for our student newspaper, plan lectures for the student activities office, and work toward getting straight A’s; in my current 18 credit semester at Lock Haven University. Coffee puts my cruise control on; so, I can adjust to the demands of college.

I mean who else is going to stay up with me at 4:00 a.m. to meet an 8:00 a.m. deadline? Coffee is like my best friend in college; except I don’t…drink my human best friend…and…coffee doesn’t talk. But we’re always together; coffee does a good job at being a friend. It encourages me.

I realized there was something missing about coffee. My senior year though, I found this missing something in Starbucks. Every Tuesday and Thursday for an hour I meet Heather, Steven, and Zach; I call our group: “The Unofficial Coffee Club,” we all congregate into Starbucks just before our science seminar. We catch up on life, talk of politics, and ponder questions of life. Some days we just sit, sip, stir and watch people walk past us.

I often go to bed thinking about the conversation will have the next day. This group of sorts provides me with a somewhat routine in an immensely chaotic life. I don’t care that these conversations are only an hour. I’m happy to have this time with them; and of course, with a cup of very bold Sumatra blend in hand.

I was missing the importance of coffee to my daily life. I can’t help but imagine how many significant other relationships are mixed together or the countless friendships stirred or the number of study groups brewed over a cup of hot coffee. This is the reason I believe in the power of coffee – it brings people together. It brought us together. Any food beverage that does this deserves a standing ovation.”