I Believe in Humor

Cole - Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Have you ever had a day where nothing works out? We all have them; I know I have. But, I have found a way to take my issues and reverse the effect they are having on my mood and my mental state of mind. It’s called humor. Humor comes in many forms be it a joke or something randomly happening to me, my family or my friends.

Over the summer, my family and I went to Lake MacConaughey in Nebraska. We were on our third day of vacation when Dad proclaimed the morning to be a fishing expedition. All six of us found ourselves out fishing on our boat. It had been a relatively unsuccessful day in sweltering heat, with our two-year-old creating his own “fun” at our expense. Once my Dad finished prepping our poles and placing them in the water, he spent 20 to 30 minutes prepping his pole. He chose his favorite hook, fattest leech, everything was perfect. He searched out the entire boat trying to find the perfect place to cast his line. After multiple cast attempts, he finally settled into what he thought to be the perfect spot to land the massive fish that was going to feed us for a week. While waiting, my sister broke the silence asking for his quick help with her reel, so he meticulously fastened his prized fishing pole to the boat and quietly slipped over to help her. With only three steps taken across the boat, Dad’s rod suddenly bent toward the water, and before anyone could stop it, it was pulled over the side of the boat. My Dad stood there dumbstruck, awestruck, every struck possible. We sat there for a second, completely quiet, not sure whether we should laugh or cry. My younger brother broke the silence and sucked up the guts to say, “Well, Dad, it looks like the fish caught you.” Although my Dad was completely beside himself from loosing the perfect pole, reel and catch, all he could do was laugh at the situation with the rest of us.

I know from personal experience that humor does brighten your day, no matter which direction you think your day is going to take you.