Music is my Sanctuary

Kara - columbus, New Jersey

I believe music is a way to connect to people. My best friend, Amanda and I are as close as friends can be, we are practically twins. Our strongest similarity is our interest in music. My biggest musical influences are The Beatles, Panic at the Disco, and Paramore. They all sound different than other bands; they all take a different approach to expressing themselves through their music.

Music is a way to be free. I feel free and complete when I pick up my guitar and begin to strum the strings. Listening to my IPod helps me feel calm. If I am feeling down or bored I listen to my favorite music and it helps me relax. Music makes me think and always improves my mood. I’m always listening to music and that is what helped bring me the best night of my life.

Amanda and I had begged our parents to take us to the Rock Bank Live Tour that featured artists that we liked, but featured our absolute favorite, Panic at the Disco. My parents agreed to get tickets and take us to Philadelphia to see the concert. They ordered the tickets and realized we had standing space! We had serious doubts that we would get close enough to see them. We asked my parents if we could go early to try and get a good spot. We got to the concert three hours before it started and stood in line outside for the first two.

The doors opened, we ran in as fast as we could run. We got to the floor and were in the fifth row. That was good, but not good enough for us. Thanks to the fact that we were small, we squeezed our way up to the second row. The first band, The Cab, came out and we screamed like crazy. We couldn’t believe we were so close to one of our favorite bands. The Plain White T’s were next and they were amazing. Dashboard Confessional was the last band before our favorite band, Panic at the Disco. Panic walked on stage, Amanda and I looked over at each other and screamed as loud as we could. Ryan Ross took his spot, right in front of us. I couldn’t believe that my role model was playing just feet from me.

I watched the bands come and go that night and it hit me how young they were. They were all under the age of 26. I realized that night, that if you try and believe in what you’re doing, you can achieve anything. If your true passion is music, and you dedicate yourself to it, you can succeed. After that night at the Wachovia Spectrum I realized what I wanted to do in life. I wanted to be part of the music community. Music allows me to express myself and communicate with others. I will never forget that very special night when I realized how important music was to me.