The true meaning of being

Michael - San diego, California

Do you think everyone is different? Of course you do. People know that everyone is different in looks and personality. What I don’t get is if everyone’s different, how can we be normal? Does the entire world’s population just meet once a year and have a meeting to discuss the current standards on being normal? If everone in the world were “normal,” then the world would be extremely dull and lifeless. I believe there is no such thing as normal, and people should embrace their individuality.

Growing up, I had a completely different attitude towards being an individual. In fact I would try my hardest to be “normal.”I had a pictured image in my head of what normal looked like. I believed in a simple clean look with no bright colors, no accessories like watches or necklaces, and a haircut that wasn’t crazy long but also wasn’t too short. My “normal” behavior was comprised of mannerisms like only talking to people when I was talked to and never participating in school, so I didn’t risk looking like a fool. In school I was so quiet, trying to be normal and not be looked at as “different” or “weird,” that the only people I really talked to was my teachers. This behavior continued through seventh grade.

Then on my first day of eighth grade, I remember walking in to my homeroom class and having people come up to me and ask if I was new to the school. These weren’t just any people. They were people I had class with the whole previous year, and some of them for two years. The fact that no one knew who I was actually wasn’t as devastating as you would think. It simply made me realize how ridiculous I was acting. From then on I lived my life by my motto that I still live by. “Screw you; I don’t care what you think of me. If you like me, great, but if not, then don’t bother me, and I won’t bother you.”

Now I express myself as I please, and I hope this essay will convinve others to do the same. You can be whoever you want in the world and shouldn’t let the fear of what other people are going to think of you affect your life like I did. You are one in nine billion people in the world. So my question to you is do you want to be that one in nine billion who stands above the rest or do you want to fade into the background?