Each of us has been given a gift, that gift of our purpose.

Daniel - Holtsville, New York
Themes: purpose

I believe that each and every one of us has been given a wonderful gift that is unique to each of us. I believe each and every one of us “is significant” as a result of that gift. I believe that gift that each one of us has been given is “our individual purpose for being”. I believe that by looking within our hearts and finding our individual passion, we find our gift, our purpose. By being true to our heart, true to that which we are passionate about, we share our purpose, our gift with the World around us. How could the World, our World, not benefit if each and every one of us fulfilled our purpose? Clearly, it would benefit, as would we all.

Being the youngest of five children in our family, with a father whose Sales Manager job required him to travel frequently around the country, I was always competing with my siblings to get his attention when he returned home. My father, a published writer as well as a Sales Manager, saw my frustration when time was too short for me to share my adventures with him. So, he encouraged me to write anything, and everything that I wanted to share with him on a daily basis. He told me; “if I put my words in writing, I would always be heard. He promised that he would read and respond to “everything” that I wrote “if” it was written well. If it wasn’t, he would not answer. He would read it, but that’s it. The incentive was there to write well because I wanted his response.

So, at the age of ten, I started writing as a means of getting his attention. It wasn’t long before I realized I could get other people’s attention as well, like my teachers,my brothers, my friends. I loved writing assignments at school. It was great!

I went away to a boarding military academy for high school and just kept on writing. Then to college, and the U.S. Marine Corps, and I kept on writing. It helped me get through some pretty rough times. It afforded me an opportunity to be heard.

However, like many other people, life events steered me away from writing little by little until it was just gone. The day came when I questioned what I was doing with my life, suddenly I felt an emptiness. For me, tragic events; the loss of many Marine lives, the loss of my father (my mother had passed years before), the loss of thousands of our countrymen on 9-11-2001, the loss of American Servicemen and Women in the Mid-East wars, all the loss of life made me do some serious soul searching and questioning. Why was I still here and they were all gone? I got my answer. My voice needed to be heard. Stories needed to be told. Public awareness needed to be enhanced.

I looked within my heart and found my true passion, writing, and pursued it. As a result, I had a book published dedicated to the men and women in the Armed Forces. Although fictional, it does justice to the sacrifices of those that have given so much in the defense of those that know so little. In addition, I have positively influenced the lives of many through my written words published in over sixty articles and read via the internet worldwide.

I have been told by many, that I have inspired them to look within their own hearts, to find their passion, and as a result, they have pursued it. I have been told that has made a positive difference in their lives, the lives of their families, and their friends.

There’s no question in my mind or my heart, that I believe each and every one of us has been given a gift, a purpose, and if each of us looks within our hearts, finds our passion, and pursues it, the World around us all will be brighter, and better. Isn’t that how it should be? I think so! What about you?

Go for it! Follow your Heart! You’ll be glad you did! So will the World!