A Hidden Message

Lisa - eagle, Idaho

I’m a reader, when I want something good to read I usually resort to the chicken soup books, they have great stories and valuable lessons to learn from. While I was reading the Chicken Soup for the Teenage Soul, I found a passage that made me start thinking; I believe that life’s message is hidden by distractions. It was written by seventeen year old going into her senior year, and the most powerful part were these words:

Life isn’t about keeping score. It’s not about how many people call you and it’s not about who you’ve dated, are dating or haven’t dated at all. It isn’t about who you’ve kissed, what sport you play, or which guy or girl likes you. … But life is about whom you love and who you hurt. It’s about how you feel about yourself. It’s about trust, happiness and compassion. …Most of all, it’s choosing to use your life to touch someone else’s in a way that could have never been achieved otherwise. about These choices are what life’s about.

This part of the reading stuck to me. I read that about two years ago, weird as it may seem, it did change my perspective on things. I believe that you shouldn’t waste the time we have on the earth on the unimportant things. I believe we spend too much time worrying about the things in life that shouldn’t be worried about and we regret not spending our time on the adventures that can take.

The problem is we bury ourselves in a million problems and we never step back to look at the big picture. We should do everything we can to fulfill our lives the way we want. We worry about what others think too much and it holds us back. We never say what we mean and we lock up feeling that, in later years, can eat us up. I believe if we stop looking for flaws in people and see what they can offer, we open up a new world.

Maybe you will read this essay and see adventures in your head like a dream, life changing adventures, or maybe it’s because don’t think your dreams are accepted in the world. But that’s what I believe is the first step to changing our world. By letting our emotional barriers and walls down and working towards a life that we would be satisfied with, we will all be happier.