Juliet - Great Neck, New York
Themes: question

The saying ‘slow and steady wins the race’ is in many ways inaccurate. This cannot be taken literally and also does not pertain to everyone.

If this saying was taken literally, it would make no sense at all. My brother is on the track team, and I know that you have to be very fast to win a meet. If my brother ran very slowly, he would never win. Although you need to be steady in long distance races, you can’t be slow. In the end you need to be fast to win any type of physical race. In other races for sports or contests that are timed, the slowest person loses and the fastest person wins. In this case, slow and steady will never win the race.

Well, if this can’t be taken literally, then look at it in perspective. Slow and steady wins the race of life, is that what this saying means??? How would that make sense? Is life a race? Should we be living life by competing to win every day? No. Life is not a race, nor will it ever be.

As I’m growing up, I’m also beginning to realize I am very slow. But I mean VERY slow. I’m in seventh grade and my homework can take up till midnight to finish. My friends, on the other hand, finish theirs at 7:00. My mom always tells me, “It’s okay. Slow and steady wins the race.” But just recently I’ve realized that’s not true. Is it really fair that what takes my friends 45 minutes takes me 2 and a half hours??? Yes I get really good grades………but is that actually winning? Would you rather get some As and some Bs and live stress-free and be a happy kid, or be an A+ student and always be tired and stressed and have to fight yourself to stay awake in school? I can’t just change the way I work. I can’t all of a sudden be miraculously fast. And I definitely can’t just stop at a certain point when I know I’ve worked for too long. I can’t go to sleep at night unless I finish my homework. When it comes to my schoolwork, I’m a perfectionist! It’s not just schoolwork; I’m slow at everything. I finish my dinner after everything is already cleaned up! I’m always the last one to hand in a test. And it takes me one hour to read 15 pages of a regular book or even just 5 pages of a textbook. Am I missing out by being slow and steady?

This theory that slow and steady wins the race really confuses me because it just doesn’t make any sense. I’ve concluded that maybe this is only for people who are fast and rush through life and don’t take time to ‘smell the roses’. I have smelled many rose bushes, and sometimes I wish I would stop smelling the roses and give my nose a rest. In my case, slow and steady does not win the race. This, I believe.