Thayne - Star, Idaho
Themes: family, integrity

This is What I Believe

In life as kids were are told to find something we believe in and stick to it. Well as I grow up I am told one thing is most important by my dad and that is trust. If you can’t be trusted then there is a problem. So today I will talk about how I lost my trust with my dad and how I got it back.

As a kid I was a trouble maker and my dad still trusted me with everything he had in his heart like a normal father does but I ruined it. When I was in the seventh grade I lived in Rupert, Idaho and if you have ever been there it is full of bad examples and gangsters that you want to avoid but it was hard to do that. In Rupert I was involved in many sports and extra curricular activities but my friends were some of those people you avoided if you saw them at night or in the wrong place. One day after track when my dad was coaching his softball team my friends invited me somewhere so went along. Well it just so turns out that they were going to do something that will change my life forever.

We went to this placed called Swensens, which is a grocery store, and they said I needed to keep watch as they shoplifted some stuff. So I was walking with my friend and he grabbed something and when I looked up there was a guy looking at us so I told him to drop it, but he wouldn’t do it. Finally he said he got rid of it but it was in a spot I didn’t know about. This friend of mine was a very good pocket picker so he had slipped it into my pocket when I wasn’t looking and he left as we tried to leave they searched us. He was clean along with my other friends but I wasn’t.

That day I took the fall for friends I truly regret having and I was arrested. When the police showed up I was in the back room and they came in and searched me again but I didn’t have anything else on me. So I was cuffed and escorted out of the store and out friend were my friends laughing because they weren’t caught. My dad was informed about what happen and twenty minutes after being cuffed and humiliated he walked in. He looked mad but I didn’t bother to ask. I was released to my dad and he took me home, it was a silent ride when we got home he told me to shower then we would talk.

When I got out we talked about what was going through my mind and why I did it. Then he told me about how he was arrested and all of that stuff which helped, but in the end right before I went to my room all I heard was I will never be able to trust you the same again, which tore me apart as a kid and I knew that I had to get my life straight and get my trust back. A week went by and now I had to see the judge and get my sentence which was twenty hours community service and I couldn’t go back there for a year. I worked it off and then I had one last talk with my dad and it was the hardest thing I have ever had to do but I knew that inside I needed to do it. When we finished our talk I asked one last question which was what can I do to get my trust back, he said be the kid I know you are and gave me a big hug.

All in all I let down the person that means the most to me and lost all that I worked so hard to achieve in my life. Now I am away from the bad examples I had in my life and can be that kid my dad knows I am and he is happy to see I am the kid I used to be. I can honestly say that getting arrested was the best thing to happen to me because now I know that with every mistake comes consequences and some are bigger then others. So this is what I believe and is most important to me and my family.