What’s Life Without Laghter?

Stephanie - Boise, Idaho

I believe in many things, the most important would have to be laughter. I can’t imagine my life without being able to laugh. When you’re down, you find something to make you laugh. When you’re happy, you will usually laugh about it. When you’re pissed, your friends will try to find things to make you laugh so you won’t think about the bad anymore. What would we be without laughter? The one thing that I will always do when I’ve had a bad day is go home and think about things that make me giggle, or call a friend that I have a lot of insides jokes with and I will get them to talk to me and refresh my memory about something that has happened and that will always make me laugh.

Just recently actually, I went whistle pig hunting with my friends, Zach and Levi, well I’ve never shot a gun in my life, so I was just going to go and watch them for a little while because they are pretty funny boys. Me and Zach get up to Can Ada, which is where we met Levi and dropped his truck off, he got in with me and Zach and we drove up the hill a little bit. We started seeing a lot of whistle pigs running around so we decided to get out and see if they could shoot a few. After they got a few shots in, they asked me if I had ever shot a shot gun before. I, the clueless one, said no. They both said I needed to because it’s really fun! I gave in, Zach handed me the gun. I asked them how to do it, all they said was “just aim, push this little button, and pull the trigger” so that’s what I did. While I was getting ready, Levi brings out his phone and starts videotaping me shooting. I go to push the button, my heart is starting to pump faster, I don’t know what to expect. I pull the trigger. The next thing I know is that I was two feet back; standing next to Zach and my ears are ringing! The boys are laughing so hard at me. I look at them, in shock. I take a second to realize, “wow, I just shot a gun” then I look at Zach and say “holy shit! I just shot a gun! That was crazy! I wanna do it again” he tells me to go for it. I take a few more shots until my ears are ringing so badly, I can hardly hear them talking to me. That’s when I stopped and let them finish their shooting before we headed back to Zach’s for lunch.

Here is another instance, I’m in sports medicine, my friend, Maggie, and I followed wrestling this season. We had a blast every practice, match, and tournament. About half way through the season, we became pretty close with the majority of the varsity wrestlers. Well at the end of the season, they always have a lip sync that the boys do for their families to raise money for the boosters. This year we got to go to it. When we arrive, we go sit with a few friends who are already there. The boys serve us our dinner, which by the way, was delicious! After everyone got their food, the coach, comes to the middle and introduces the groups. The first group goes, it was fairly funny. Then the second group, it was really funny. A few of my friends were in it, they had really funny costumes on, so it was even funnier for me. Finally, the last group consisted of Gunnar, Brigg, Jake, Ryan Festag, Ryan Holmes, Shelby, and David. These boys are all my favorites and the funniest guys on the team so I knew it was going to be the best routine. They all come out with basketball shorts, white t-shirts, and dress coats on. They get in a line and wait for their music to start. Once it does, Ryan Festag starts moving to the crowd with the others as his background dancers. After a few more seconds, they take their jackets off as they do a full turn. The song changes to the “jitter bug” and Jake starts moving to the front along with Shelby. Meanwhile, the other boys in the back are all throwing their arms and legs all over the place. Jake and Shelby do their thing up in the front while both of the Ryan’s have Gunnar doing a basket toss then him and Brigg do a back flip off them at the same time. Jake and Shelby finish up in front and move to the sides as the others start ripping off their white tees and shorts into their singlet’s. By this time the crowd is going absolutely crazy with laughter for these boys. Just then, the song changes to a song by beyonce called “single ladies” Jake starts moving to the front again as the boys all follow him. They start to do this running dance and make a circle as they leave the stage.