Memories of Love

jessica - lexington, Kentucky

Memories of Love

I lost my beloved Yellow Lab Sadie a year and a half ago, and there isn’t a day that goes by that I don’t think about her. It is the fond memories I have of her that makes me believe that she truly loved me. Sadie had a gift for making me feel loved. Knowing better than to wake me up in the morning, Sadie would lie outside my bedroom door and wait for me. When I did get up, she would greet me with a smile, a tail wag, and a kiss. When I would leave to go out, she would stand at the garage door and bark as if to say “don’t leave me here by myself, I want to come with you.” When I returned home, I could always count on Sadie to be there waiting to greet me with a smile and a tail wag. If I was having a bad day, she would contently listen as I let out my frustrations and if I was upset, she would let me hug onto her and bury my face in her fur.

On the rare occasions that she did sleep in my room, I felt special. I always knew she loved and trusted me because every time it stormed in the middle of the night, Sadie would scurry to my room in a panic. Even though I was just as scared as her, Sadie must have felt safe with me because all I had to do was pet her for a few minutes and she would calm down (that is, until the next big boom and then she would run back to my parents’ room and wake them up). It was the same story in the middle of the day when it stormed. At the slightest rumble of thunder or flash or lightning, she would be up on the sofa hiding behind whoever happened to be up there at the time. It wasn’t just thunder that caused her to freak out and hide on the sofa; it was also fireworks at the fourth of July and the fire in the fireplace. Now that Sadie is no longer here, it is these fond memories along with the thousands of others that I have that made me realize that I was and still am lucky to have had such a sweet, loving dog in my life. Sadie is greatly loved, sorely missed, but never forgotten.