Be Cool

Dahee - 08053, New Jersey

I believe that in any situation, staying cool displays gratitude. My daily drama between friends at school or church always crushed my joyful mood and brought my entire day with it. If one of my friends said something offending about me, I would walk around the school halls thinking that all of my friends were total backstabbers and I could never trust any of them. I wouldn’t know how to shake off my melancholy moods. However, thanks to one algebra test, everything was about to change.

The minute I walked into my math class on that sunny afternoon, I was more than ready to take my test. But due to our new seating arrangement, little did I know that my new neighbor had wandering eyes. I was horrified by her innocent cheating techniques that were just so obvious to me. At that moment, the sun seemed to drop dead and darken up the sky. Impatience started to overtake me and I couldn’t concentrate on my work throughout the whole period. Instead, I put all of my effort into trying to cover my paper from her view. After I turned in my exam, I felt my head pulsing with fury. I knew that I had made ignorant mistakes on my test and I couldn’t wait to tell my parents about my unwelcome distraction. Once I got into the car, my dad was ready to listen to what had caused my frowning face. After just a few minutes of listening, he tried to stop me. This was an intimation that he was going to give me a lecture on what I did wrong. However, he simply remarked, “Why didn’t you just let her? Be cool!”. I was outraged by this. He realized my reaction and explained that my classmates cheating was a decision that she made herself and that it was only going to hurt her. If I hadn’t taken note of her and put my effort into trying to stop her, then I would’ve not made those mistakes on the test and my day wouldn’t have been distracted by the situation. My dad always tells me that 90% of what people think about in their lives turn out to be wasteful thinking. I realized that I had wasted my whole day thinking about a small situation that could have been ignored. I didn’t pay attention to what really mattered; precious life and time. I realized that those small encounters of school and church drama weren’t really worthy enough to worry about. I needed to appreciate life instead of worrying about unnecessary things.

I now realize that cool kids are the ones who don’t pay attention to what will turn out to be wasteful thinking later on. They do what counts in life. They savor their lives by being cool!