Speed

Garrett - Concord, Massachusetts

When it comes to gut-wrenching, raw adrenaline flowing through your body, there is no more intense moment than just before a race. I have played many sports that push the limit of your body and your mental discipline, but nothing has compared to the most basic of sports: running track.

I starting sprinting in track in middle school, and have continued it through high school. In the past I thought the 100-meter dash was the only really sprinting event, but I found out in high school that that is far from the truth. Among the many sprint distances, the 200 meter and 400 meter races require the runner to run full out if he or she wants to win. I have done the 200 and 400 – meter relay in the past years, and let me tell you, the feeling of the race is unlike anything else. While warming up your thoughts are only on the race. There is an anxious, scary feeling in your stomach, as you get ready by jogging with your teammates. Just before the relay beings, you and the three other members gather together in a huddle, and it is an uplifting moment. As the first member of the relay, you step up to your staggered line, feeling almost awkward as you walk out into the middle of a huge space, surrounded by everyone at the meet. It is the final event. People on your team you don’t know very well stop what they are doing and swarm around the edges of the track. The baton feels like an Olympic torch in your hand as you touch your knee down onto the red track. It stings. None of the other runners choose to kneel but you do. The judge says set. You mind goes blank, only responsive to the sound of a gun. He fires, and you are off.

n most sports the excitement of the game is spread out over quarters and periods. There will be maybe a couple of exciting events on big plays or when the time is low. Running a race, however, is the only sport where all the thrill of the sport in concentrated into less than a minute, or 30 seconds, or 15 seconds. After the race, the anxious feeling you felt before will make you feel happy, proud, and refreshed. It is serene.

I believe you should run as fast as you can. Weather it be at a track meet or just in a time when you are outside, sprinting to your top speed will give you huge rush of excitement and happiness. Even if there is no reason for running that fast, it is a great feeling to dash through the world. All of the concerns of life will melt away with the wind in your face and the ultimate feeling of energy.