Studying makes us satisfied

Jessica - Beijing, China

I believe studying makes a person satisfied, which is to say that if I have more lessons to learn, I’ll have no time to think of nonsense. Then I’ll pay more attention to my courses and achieve my goals.

I used to think that only recreation can please people. I could play computer games, watch TV, go shopping and hang out with friends. I could forget the burdens we Chinese students endure. Especially on holidays with less homework to do, I slept late , got up late, and occupied all my leisure time with everything except studying. Sometimes, I just sat in front of the computer, surfed the Internet, and visited websites which didn’t even interest me at all.

I had spent my summer and winter holidays in this way for nearly 19 years. Instead of happiness, I felt a void in my life. Last winter holiday, I stayed at home for only 5 days and stayed in Beijing for the rest of the holiday. Unlike my previous holidays, I attended an English course in Neworiental, which is one of the most prominent language schools in Beijing. My whole family was extraordinarily surprised when they heard my decision. “Are you serious?” “What’s wrong?” ”Do you have a boyfriend in Beijing so that you won’t be back?” were the most frequently asked questions by my relatives and good friends. Actually, I just wanted to spend this holiday differently by keeping myself busy.

Everyday in last winter holiday, I got up at 7:30 AM, washed my face, rinsed my mouth and hurried to my class, which began at 8:30 AM and ended at 2:00 in the afternoon. After the class was over, I would go to a café near my college, reviewing what I had learned that day until around 7:00 PM. Stepping out of the café with full understanding of my work was the most delightful thing I had ever experienced. Instead of hanging out with nothing to do, I learned more and felt more contented last winter holiday.

In the past, it was a mystery to me why I always felt unsatisfied, though I played all the day. Now I get the answer—for there was nothing I could put my heart into in earnest. The saying goes that “All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.” It is also true, however, when the saying is modified to: “All play and no work makes me a depressed girl.” After the long but cheerful days, I have found the real self-satisfaction I have been pursuing for years.

The key to being contented is gaining new knowledge rather than advancing through the levels of a new computer game. This is the lesson I learned last winter holiday. We need to learn, we need to occupy ourselves with something really valuable.

I do believe studying will bring us pleasure and make us satisfied.