Courage Brought me this far

Brandon - Greatneck, New York

I spent almost all my time devoted to baseball on the weekends, summers and vacations. During my childhood, so far, baseball has played a big role in making me believe in courage. Before I started enjoying the position of pitcher, I was afraid of embarrassing my teammates and myself. I play in my friend’s backyard most of time with a couple of guys, and sometimes his little brothers. I feared the position of pitcher before one game a couple years back, when my team was winning. It was the 6th inning and it was getting dark out, so we decided to finish up. My team going into the field needed to decide on positions. Since my friend was good at pitcher but tired out I came up with courage and volunteered to pitch. Getting up I pitched a pretty good game. The first batter came up and out of nervousness I walked him. The second batter, I struck out, with a lucky mistake, he swung at a ball. Then the next batter came up and hit a grounder, getting him out but advancing the runner to the next base. Next was a big hitter and if he hit a home run we would be tied. So, I wanted to strike him out. Not only would I win the game, but I would also be greatly appreciated by my team members. So, I wound up and threw it. Zoom! It went past the batter for a first strike! Then, I threw another pitch. It went by the batter quickly for strike two! Now I know your going to think it’s going to be a Cinderella story right now and I am greatly appreciated but I throw a ball. Then, after that I threw one right down the zone, no you don’t hear the sound of the catcher mitt but the sound of cling! The player’s brand new aluminum bat. I look up and barely see the ball in the air, but I run back anyway and dive back. I caught the ball! I won the game and over came the fear of pitching! Then I catch myself surrounded by my team members and getting patted on the back. If it weren’t for me having self esteem and courage in my self I wouldn’t of won the game for my team and had a great time. Another thing that happened for me of having courage in myself is I am a pitcher for all my teams and I enjoy it more than any other position in the game. I know if it wasn’t for having courage in myself like others should, I wouldn’t enjoy pitching and leading a team to victory. I learned a lesson that day, believe in yourself and you can do almost anything.