Get Out of the Flow

Yinny - Great Neck, New York

What is normal? Dressing like everyone else? Not sitting with your friend at lunch because people might think you’re a loser? Is that what people call normal? Well that doesn’t seem so normal to me. Every day in the school hallways everyone is wearing the same style. I’d love to wear bizarre outfits of polka dots and bright neon colors. But I hate to admit it but I’m just afraid to be different. Many people are afraid to be different because they’re afraid that they’re going to be laughed at so they just go along with the flow. But not everyone is afraid to be different.

In fifth grade there was a new girl. Her name was Kaity. She was on my bus and on the first day of school, went on the bus my eyes immediately went to her hair. Her hair was cut short because she thought it was too much troublwhen I e to keep long hair. My hair was up to my shoulders and everyone else’s hair was below their shoulders. Kaity’s hair was up to her ears. She never wore pink and she always had her game boy with her. Kaity knew people thought she was weird and she didn’t mind. I became great friends with her but she didn’t have any other friends in her class. She missed her home and friends in New Jersey and didn’t feel very welcome in Great Neck because of the mean looks people gave her. One day a girl came up to me and asked, “Why are you friends with her? Everyone hates her.” I didn’t say anything. A few days later, a girl on my bus started talking about Kaity when she wasn’t on the bus and I didn’t do anything to defend her. I tried to change Kaity to what people called “normal” after what those people said but it was impossible. It was like getting a cat to swim. Kaity soon found out what other people said about her and she started getting really sad. Her happy smile that greeted me in the mornings on the bus soon turned upside-down. I tried to make her feel better but I didn’t try hard enough. As summer came closer, I started avoiding from Kaity because I thought people would think I was weird if I kept talking to her on the bus. I was just being stupid. One day, I was walking in the halls and I looked in Kaity’s classroom. Everyone was talking among themselves except Kaity. I felt really bad that I couldn’t have been a better friend. I was thinking about Kaity all night and how I should apologize to her on the bus. But the next day she wasn’t here. I waited each morning that week and she was never here. The thought of apologizing was pushed to the back of my mind because I never saw her until the last day of school. She told me that she was moving back to New Jersey. She said I had been a great friend and she’d always remember me.

I didn’t deserve what she said. I shouldn’t have tried to change her and I should’ve accepted who she was. Yes she was weird, but weird in a good way. So just because everyone else is doing something, it doesn’t mean you have to. I believe getting out of the flow is a step to being “normal”.