Independence

Nancy - USA

I believe in independence. People shouldn’t have to rely on anyone else. They should be able to make their own decisions in life without having to ask other people for permission or help. I’m an independent girl. I try not to depend on other people. Even though, I am only eighteen years old, I want to do things on my own.

When I was seven years old my parents got divorce and it was really hard. My mother had two jobs and she was never home with us. The only time I would see her is on Sunday. I was forced to do everything on my own. I would come home by myself. I would also clean he house for my mom. I would also have to cook for myself.

I have an older brother and two older sisters. My brother had his first baby girl when I was only sixteen years old and he had to become independent by himself .My sister also had her first baby when she was really young so that made her go on her own. We were all forced to be independent.

Now my mother had surgery and that has mad everything so hard because she has to depend on her husband. She always told me “to never depend on anyone else unless you really can’t do things on your own”. Now I tell myself that I don’t have to depend on anyone else but myself.

Now in the future I want to be on my own without having something to push me into being on my own. To be a person that wouldn’t have to rely on anyone else. Now I tell my nieces and nephews to be independence when they’re older. Just like my mom told me.