Today

Gina - Mocksville,, North Carolina
Themes: carpe diem

I believe in today, the present day, not the day after tomorrow. Yesterday was the day before today, a part of the past that has already happened. I’m not saying you should forget yesterday, but today is more important to me. What happened yesterday cannot be changed because it’s already happened. Tomorrow is the future, and as we know, the future can be unpredictable and sometimes overwhelming. For some it’s just easier to live one day at a time. The day I choose to live is today.

The first thing I thought of when I chose “Today” as the topic I believe in, was the Tim McGraw song, “Live Like You Were Dying.” To me this song fit perfectly with “Today”, which seems like something too big to be just a word. After all, who knows how many more days you have to live. We just don’t know when that last day will be. Think of it this way. A day is 86,400 seconds which is 1440 minutes which is 24 hours. Some days those seconds, minutes and hours all seem to fly by so fast, but in reality it is a lot of time, just not enough to satisfy us. But when it’s one of those days that goes on, and hours seem like an eternity, I think about how many of those seconds, minutes, or hours I may have.

My stepbrother, Jeff, was an inspiration. When I was 10 years old, he was 38 and was diagnosed with lung cancer. He lived in New York, and I was living in North Carolina, so I didn’t get to see him very often. After hearing the news, my family got in the car and took a trip to New York. The doctors told everyone he would live 5 years, while on a special diet and living a totally different lifestyle. It was heart breaking to see him like this, because everyone knew things had changed. After spending a little time with him, we had to return to North Carolina. Three weeks later we received a call that the cancer had taken his life. Those five years turned into three weeks. I wish everyone had known, so he wouldn’t have stepped foot into a hospital or changed his diet or life, except for spending the rest of it with the ones he loved.

I’m sure everyone has heard the saying, “If you have nothing nice to say, then don’t say it at all.” I think this correlates with, “What you say in ten seconds can take you ten years to take back.” In other words, “Choose your words wisely”, because words can be hurtful and each second you have matters. I use this advice, the next time I’m getting mad at someone over something minor, I plan to think about how many today’s you may have left. The day I’m living is Today.